Monday, June 7, 2010

Shit, Paula Deen Was Right . . .

I'm not so much of a Paula Deen fan since I'm convinced she's trying to kill all of us with tacky greasy food. But, I will agree with the bitch about one thing, butter does make it better. I was vegan for many years and became accustomed to using soy margarine. Then one day my sister was talking about how she prefers butter to margarines since they are highly processed. And alas a light bulb went off. I took me a bit to embrace the creamy, salted ingredient mainly because of price but Whole Foods produces a delicious non RBST butter that's only $2.49 a pack. Here's what I made last Sunday:


I rough chopped some cabbage & a Spanish Onion

Melted about 2/3 of a stick in a pan on a low simmer & boiled some basmati rice. 

Spices used: garlic powder, turmeric, cinnamon, kosher salt, & cayenne pepper

I added the onion then cabbage to the butter and lightly sauteed. I really had to keep stirring to make sure the butter was equally dispersed. You may need to add more butter and I suggest covering the pan so the cabbage will sweat a bit and add to the sauce. Then I added the spices, let them simmer and become friendly. Next in the pan was the shrimp, followed by some corn, and finally the rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment