Monday, January 10, 2011

All That Glitters . . .

     May be my golden photo wall! My photo wall is a major part of my gallery like uptown apt. I got the idea late last year to create a grid of 36 photos that visitors can re-arrange to their liking. And then about a year later I firmly decided to paint my massive 10'X17' wall gold. I get these romantic visions in my head and I'm telling ya, I just go for it. The first attempt was extremely disappointing. DO NOT USE Ralph Lauren Metallics! The paint is heavy and very hard to apply well. My bright apt became so dark and I literally ripped all the paint off the wall. The photo wall was in a state of chaotic limbo. 

About a week later I was fortunate enough to meet two warm and helpful interior designers. {Huge shoutout to Tim & Stuart!} The suggested checking out metallic colors at Benjamin Moore, which worked out brilliantly. One of my neighbors, who is a contractor, painted the base and first coat {shoutout to Ant}. I put on the final coat while watching Muppets Take Manhattan on a chilly Monday morning. I adore it! The photo wall is just as I envisioned it. 

Later that evening, I framed, arranged, and nailed 38 new photos from 2010. One of my resolutions for the past year was to take 10,000 photos. The ones featured on the wall reflect some of the people, moments, and changes that impacted me. 

It took several gallons of paint, hundreds of dollars, and oodles of time, but I finally struck gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment