Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Anyway you slice it, they're still good!




Gorgeous!

By god is that bacon? Nope, it's something much much sweeter. I've had it in my head for weeks now that I wanted to make plantain chips. I love snacks, but hate packaging, and highly processed foods. Munching on dal was cool for awhile, but sometimes I yearn for something with a crunch to it. So, the experiments started. I don't have a mandolin and could not find a plantain slicer so, on the first go round, I cut the plantains free hand with a small knife. It's a no go, at least for me. They tasted fine, but the pieces were too thick for them to be crunchy. Today I remembered that I have a vegetable peeler and used it to delicately slice the fruit. It does get a bit sticky, and the chips were super thin, but damn if they weren't oh so good! I had to force myself to stop eating them and grab my camera.

 What you'll need: peanut oil, black {sweet} or yellow {less sweet} plantains, a plate with a paper towel on top for grease collection, a deep pan to get your fry on, and some tongs. I placed one strip in the oil to see if it was hot enough. You'll have to move very quickly once it is because they fry up fast. Try to shake off as much access oil before placing in on the paper towel. Let them cool for a minute or two before diving in. For attempt number three I will be using a proper slicer. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment