Monday, January 11, 2010

I Dream of Beanie . . .


I remember the first time I had dal. My friend Haroon shared some he made in his Cook College Kitchen. I was surprised at how smooth and creamy they were. I'd tried to recreate them several times over the years without much success, I couldn't get the right consistency. But alas, I was using the wrong beans! I was cooking yellow split peas instead of red lentils. I watched Mark Bitman whip them up on the NYTimes site last Monday and realized my error. And because I'm such a nerd, I woke up the next day with visions of a warm bowl of beans dancing in my head. Luckily, I had some waiting in the cabinet and have enjoyed them as a high protein, low fat, mid-day snack.


Red lentils garnished with crispy onions & scallions.


No comments:

Post a Comment