Monday, February 8, 2010

Eat Your Heart Out!

First and foremost, let us please bow our heads a give a moment of silence to my hand mixer. Poor thing died while stirring the batter. I've had it since college and it gave me some good years. Especially considering I bought it for $10 at a CH Martin in New Brunswick. You've in a better place now, but your legacy lives on. RIP.

So Saturday morning I decided to finally bust out my heart shaped mini cake pans. I don't know what absurdly sappy mood I was in the day I bought those cake pans, but they are kinda fun. And it was my friends birthday which was another good excuse. {Joyeux Anniversaire Garan!} I took a basic chocolate cake recipe from the back of a Toll House container and I improved it. One tip for keeping the moisture in vegan baking is to use natural applesauce instead of eggs. 1/4 of a cup of natural applesauce {I stress natural for a reason} equals 1 egg.

Another tip is to not over fill the cake pans. I remembered that about 10 minutes after I put them in the oven. The end result is not too terrible but I had to trim them down a bit.
Whoops!

I made a cream cheese frosting to top it off. So pretty!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment