Sunday, February 7, 2010

Tichy @ ICP


On Friday I went back to ICP for a closer look at what's new. I decided to only view one show at a time instead of chugging them down like a freshman at a frat party. It was definitely the way to go, I was a million times more attentive and the work left a lasting impression. So, looking at the images, it's easy to get the sense that Miroslav Tichy was some creepy voyeur who stalked the Czech city of Kyjov. Many of the photos are of the backsides of women from the neck down, distant shots at the local pool, and blurry nudes. One image that stood out was of two teenagerish girls staring at the camera directly. They looked quite uncomfortable and put off. I remember observing their faces and thinking, "Tichy be crazy looking." And then I watched a short doc about the eccentric old photographer and my suspicions were confirmed. He's a wild looking old man with dirty finger nails, tattered clothes, and long untamed gray hair. His house is of the Grey Gardens sort, dilapidated with food, art, & filth scattered about. I am glad I could look past his facade because that cooky old man did inspire me. Tichy and I share a similar perspective on photography and art in general. He used pretty much anything he could get his hands on from old oil cans to toilet paper rolls to make cameras. {see photo above} Several of them are also on view.  The way he worked reinforced to me that the creativity of the artist is more important than the tools used to produce their art. Please be sure to take some time out to watch the documentary, it's definitely worth the time. Don't forget ICP is free Fridays from 5pm-8pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment