Thursday, February 4, 2010

Speaking of Simpler Times . . .

I finally watched The Last Picture Show on Saturday, it had been on my queue forever. I'm not exactly sure how it ended up there but I'm so glad I finally got around to it.  The film is definitely more character than plot driven. It doesn't have many high peaks or melodrama, but it successfully depicts the grayness of life in a dying town. there are many heart clenching moments and events but the characters accept these tragedies as part of everyday life. I grew up in a small nothing town in Jersey and although I wasn't the least bit happy there, and ostracized quite a bit, I do feel for and understand the people I grew up around. Watching The Last Picture Show reminded me of that connection. I found myself pondering, what type of life can you make for yourself when you're poor, white, and disenfranchised? What is your imprint on the world? What's your existence worth? Okay so if that's a bit too heavy for you, watch it for the amazing cast! Many of the actors were just getting their start in the picture business. Stellar performances by: Ellen Burstyn, Timothy Bottoms, Cybill Shepard, Jeff bridges, Randy Quaid, & Chloris Leachman to name a few. Peep the trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment